The legacy of the Parsi community of Diu
Shokoohy, Mehrdad (2010) The legacy of the Parsi community of Diu. Hamazor, 2010 (2). pp. 75-81.Full text not available from this repository.
The ex-Portuguese town of Diu on the island of the same name off the south coast of Saurashtra, Gujarat, is one of the best-preserved Portuguese colonial towns. A fort was built by the Portuguese in 1539 and throughout the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries Diu remained a main staging post for Portuguese trade in the Indian Ocean until the appearance of the Dutch, French and British on the scene when the island gradually lost its strategic importance. Under the Portuguese the majority of the population were Hindu, with a considerable number of Banian merchants, but there was also a large Muslim minority, a prosperous Zoroastrian community and even a few Jewish families.
|Additional Information:||Hamazor is a publication of the World Zoroastrian Organisation.|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||Diu island, Zoroastrian religion, fire temples, Dakhma, towers of silence|
|Subjects:||B Philosophy. Psychology. Religion > BL Religion|
N Fine Arts > NA Architecture
|School / Department / Research Groups:||School of Architecture, Design & Construction|
School of Architecture, Design & Construction > Department of Architecture & Urbanism
|Last Modified:||17 Oct 2012 12:43|
Actions (login required)