Skip navigation

The legacy of the Parsi community of Diu

The legacy of the Parsi community of Diu

Shokoohy, Mehrdad (2010) The legacy of the Parsi community of Diu. Hamazor, 2010 (2). pp. 75-81.

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

The ex-Portuguese town of Diu on the island of the same name off the south coast of Saurashtra, Gujarat, is one of the best-preserved Portuguese colonial towns. A fort was built by the Portuguese in 1539 and throughout the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries Diu remained a main staging post for Portuguese trade in the Indian Ocean until the appearance of the Dutch, French and British on the scene when the island gradually lost its strategic importance. Under the Portuguese the majority of the population were Hindu, with a considerable number of Banian merchants, but there was also a large Muslim minority, a prosperous Zoroastrian community and even a few Jewish families.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information: Hamazor is a publication of the World Zoroastrian Organisation.
Uncontrolled Keywords: Diu island, Zoroastrian religion, fire temples, Dakhma, towers of silence
Subjects: B Philosophy. Psychology. Religion > BL Religion
N Fine Arts > NA Architecture
Pre-2014 Departments: School of Architecture, Design & Construction
School of Architecture, Design & Construction > Department of Architecture & Urbanism
Related URLs:
Last Modified: 14 Oct 2016 09:12
Selected for GREAT 2016: None
Selected for GREAT 2017: None
Selected for GREAT 2018: None
Selected for GREAT 2019: None
URI: http://gala.gre.ac.uk/id/eprint/4708

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item